The role of our advocate is to help educate and guide children, teens, and families in the aftermath of a crisis and/or trauma. Advocates provide access to needed information, specialized services, and support throughout the healing and justice processes.
Our Family Advocate can help assist you through the following:
- Crisis assessment and intervention
- Safety planning and risk assessment
- Assessment of individual and family needs
- Therapy and/or medical referrals, if necessary
- Education on access to victim’s rights and Crime Victim Compensation
- Presence during the Forensic Interview preliminary and post meeting
- Provision of court education, tours, support and accompaniment throughout the court process
The CAC partners with the YWCA to provide a noninvasive medical exam. The exam consists of a basic well-child exam with the addition of a specialized, noninvasive sexual abuse exam. The medical evaluation also provides children (and caregivers) an opportunity to ask questions about their bodies. Children often need the reassurance that their body is okay after sexual abuse has occurred.
For medical evaluation inquiries, please contact our Family Advocate, Jessica Johnson, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 616-336-5191.