ACE’s are serious childhood traumas that result in toxic stress that can harm a child’s brain. This toxic stress may prevent a child from learning, from playing in a healthy way with other children and can result in long-term health problems.
Exposure to childhood ACEs can increase the risk of:
- Adolescent pregnancy, unintended pregnancy
- Alcoholism & alcohol abuse, Illicit drug use, smoking
- Heart Disease, liver disease
- Intimate partner violence
- Multiple sexual partners, STI’s
- Suicide attempts